Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lindsey Wilson Race Weekend

Finally! Getting back into the swing of things - The spring road season has arrived for me.

This past weekend was the Lindsey Wilson collegiate race weekend, hosted by (as the name implies) Lindsey Wilson College (LWC). They did a great job, and I can't recall the general organization at a collegiate event ever being so professional and well-run. My props go to Lindsey Wilson for putting together a great weekend for the MWCCC.

Anyway, the drive out to LWC was about 10 hours, and it took a toll on us all. We passed out in our beds around 1:00 EST. We had to wake up and race at 8:00 CST, which seemed to confuse us all when we tried to get our heads around the odd division of time zones in Kentucky. Well, somehow we got an alarm set for the right time zone, and woke up on time to head out and support our riders who were doing the morning's individual time trial. Our women did great, but no men chose to partake. What's all that jargon about women being the fairer sex? Obviously, Wisco women don't buy it, and were eager to show just how strong they are in a race against the clock. Lindsey Durst, Kelly Egan, and Yvonne Schumacher took 7th, 8th, and 10th respectively in the Women's A time trial. Summer Ohlendorf, Holly Matthews, and Jenny Barr took 2nd, 3rd, and 6th in the B's. Way to rack up the points, Wisco!

We took a quick detour after the TT to pick up some basic groceries. I was taken aback by the lack-luster offerings at the store we chose, but I managed to scrape together a few nourishing items and high-tailed it back to the road race course with the rest of the group. Almost all of the races took off at the same time - Right around noon. Men's A's led the way, having the longest race (3 laps of a 25 mile course), and the other groups followed in order of race length/category.

The course was 25 miles of varied terrain, including some longer 1km+ gentle climbs (which favor my abilities), and one shorter 18% leg-searing ascent before the finish (NOT my strength). I knew it would be tough to hold on to the field on the final climb once I saw it, so I mentally prepared to sag and suffer on it. It turned out not to be the deciding climb though, with most of the attacks going on the longer ascents and exposed windy sections.

This was my first race with the men's A field, and it was a tough but valuable learning experience. My teammates James Pradun and Dallas Fowler helped keep my confidence up before the race with good tips about what to expect. Nothing can prepare you for what the field is actually like though, as I soon found out. Here's what I learned:

  1. The pack dynamics are astounding, terrifying, and reassuring all at once. Each person is remarkably adept at maneuvering the pack, and not at all shy to pop into the slightest gap - But it's all done responsibly, and after a while I felt pretty comfortable doing so myself. At least the other riders let you know when they're getting close - I don't think I've ever had so many other guys' hands on my butt in a 3 hour span of time though. As Dallas clarified, this is the "greatest" form of touching. Haha, okay Dallas.

  2. The attacks in the A's field are blistering. There's just no other term for it. These guys bury themselves to get a slight gap on the field. The race winner, Kip Spaude, is probably the epitome of this phenomena. I was barely able to hold his wheel when he attacked on one of the long climbs, and he got away from the field when he slipped past a group of other guys up the road (where I got hung up). Impressive - I see why this guy has a Facebook page devoted to his sadomasochistic riding style.

  3. The attacks don't stop. I can't remember a period of more than 30s where the field was at rest before another person shot off the front. It's a constant battle to recover from the previous attack in time for the next one. It's incredibly exhilarating, but quite tiring. Once a group gets away, there's still no respite - You're either fighting in the wind to catch them yourself, or shutting down attempts to bridge up to your teammates.

  4. The races are long. Never before has nutrition and energy conservation been so vital to finishing, let alone contesting a race. I figured this out after completing the first lap, and realizing that I hadn't eaten anything and barely sipped from my water bottles. It started to hit me into the second lap, and I managed to stuff in a Clif Bar and guzzle some water before I got too bonky. The Clif Bars saved the day - I love those things. Steady energy when you need it - Predictable, easy to get down, and a good variety of flavors. Thank you, Clif.
That's what stuck out in my mind the most. First impressions are everything, so I'm sure these will stick with me for a while.

The race itself unfolded like this:
0:00:00 - Race Starts
0:00:10 - James announces that he's going to do something "stupid."
0:00:11 - James breaks away with a couple of others in a VERY early attack.
0:00:15 - Dallas discourages the group from giving chase, giving James a good chance to build a gap.
0:01:30 - I hit a major pothole which was supposed to be marked, nearly taking myself and 2 others out. Got it back under control no problem, though.
0:02:00 - The attacks start. (from here on out just assume an attack every 30 seconds)
0:20:00 - I chase down a break, then Kip Spaude attacks on a long uphill. I snag his wheel.
0:21:00 - I lose Kip's wheel when he maneuvers through a group of riders that I don't negotiate so well.
0:30:00 - I join an attempted break on the second long climb. We get away for maybe a minute or two before the group pops and we slowly reincorporate into the peloton.
0:55:00 - The first steep climb forces a big separation in the field. I find myself tagging on to the tail end, and TTing with Adam Leibovitz, Dallas, and a couple of other riders I didn't recognize to rejoin the pack.
2:00:00 In a chase group after popping from the TT effort. (Leibovitz is one hell of a strong guy- Kudos to Dallas for sticking on his wheel).
2:05:00 We catch back on to the main pack at the steep hill. I get a feed from Holly (Thanks!)
2:06:00 I find Dallas filling his own water bottle (?) He joins our chase group.
2:40:00 I do too much work on a long climb, trying to chase back a Northwestern rider.
3:00:00 I pop on the final climb and mosey in for 24th place.

My knee started hurting after the race, and I ended up taking the next day easy. No crit for me.

I've got to comment on the Women's B/C criterium:

Holly and Summer went 1-3 in the race. Jenny Barr laid down a wicked sprint at the finish, besting all of the women in her chase group, and finishing 5th. The race went totally by the book from a spectator's point of view. Holly and a UIC rider duked it out while Summer and a LWC rider chased. Following them was Jenny, playing it smart in the main field and waiting to crush them in the field sprint. Each Wisco rider took the top spot in their finishing group. Way to go!

Great weekend for everybody else too:
- John H managed to grab some points in the B's crit
- Lindsey Durst, Kelly Egan, and Yvonne Schumacher represented with 5th, 7th and 16th place finishes in the Women's A's field.
- Randal Loaizo looked really strong in the Men's C crit. He finished 9th of 24, and nailed points in 2 of the 3 prime laps. Wicked.

Next weekend is a fast circuit race, TTT, and 6-corner criterium at Depauw. I'm looking forward to another great showing by Wisconsin!

Regards, thanks for reading.





2 comments:

  1. You need pictures sir.
    I demand photo documentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a great race and give 'em hell this weekend!

    ReplyDelete