Sunday, December 6, 2009

Making the most of trainer time - Hah!

I am a bike nerd. I have a webcam. This was inevitable:


It's all part of my motivational campaign. If I'm going to get 12-14 hrs per week of training volume, I'm going to need sufficient impetus to ride the rollers enough, and the skills necessary to do so. This video kills two birds with one stone, so to speak. By making it semi-public, I'm revealing my own weaknesses, hopefully generating some drive for improvement. By only having a few intro "tricks" on there, I'm forcing myself to learn new skills and post a follow up video (I'm thinking in 2 months - stay tuned).

So, 2-3 weeks of steady roller riding has taught me how to:

1) Not fall off.
2) Ride with a high cadence.
3) Ride one-handed.
4) Take a drink.
5) Ride no-handed.
6) Ride out of the saddle (in the drops or on the hoods).

I'm pleased - but I'm also determined to add a few more tricks to my repitoire:

7) Spin one-legged.
8) Spin one-legged and no-handed.
9) Sprint.
10) Mount without a wall/handle.

So far I've managed to get enough miles on my trusty (read: ancient) Mclain rollers to break the belt that drives the resistance unit. That was an abrupt change of pace when it happened... Glad I've been practicing cadence drills. I found a place in Michigan that will replace it for a pretty fair price, and the new belt should arrive sometime next week. 'Till then I'm running slightly less tire pressure and practicing tricks to improve my balance.

I had a big day today - Gym time, sample prep at the NMR lab, 90 minutes of easy riding, and 3-4 hours worth of homework that I needed to get done earlier than later.

I'll keep posting more often once this semester wraps up - including some likely posts from a January trip to Telluride - More on that soon.


Best regards, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment