Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Number 3

I'm going to start this all off with my thoughts on finally achieving something that I've been looking to do for a while - getting my USAC upgrade to category 3. Seriously - I'm pretty stoked about it, simply because I took a year off and wondered whether or not I'd be able to get back in shape in time, and score enough points to earn the 3's status.

So, I got the email from USA cycling a few days ago informing me that my upgrade went through, and that I'd finally be able to leave the sketchtastic world of category 4/5 racing. Sweet - I'm glad to get out of that risky group of riders.

Really. It's like swimming in shark infested waters in that 4/5's field...

Actually, to make the simile complete - make that "swimming in shark infested waters along with 30 other dudes - 4 of which are bleeding profusely, 10 who are sporting shiny jewelry, and at least 5 others who don't know how to swim, yet insist upon splashing and weaving around like fat, injured seals. "


Somebody is going to get bitten. Case in point...


The sad reality is that this happened in at least three-quarters of the races I took part in this year. I somehow came out unscathed, and with enough points to move up a bit in the cycling world. I'm looking forward to a great collegiate season, hopefully with some wins in the B's field, and potentially representing my team in the category A races as the season progresses.

For now, I'm enjoying the remainder of the summer, looking out for opportunities to ride with some people that I haven't seen in a while, and getting ready for another semester of Biochemistry education. Oh yeah, and I'm starting to learn Japanese - who knew?

Stovetop

No comments:

Post a Comment